Art and Design
- The high-quality art and design curriculum is designed to allow our children to innovate, create and take ownership of art and design. We encourage pupils to develop their creativity building on their own imagination using the techniques and inspiration from artists.
- Art is an important form of expression that can build children’s self-awareness and self esteem as they learn to make their own decisions and take risks.
- We want all our pupils to experience a wide and varied art curriculum, which leaves them artistically curious. We have carefully chosen artists to help empower our children, demonstrating diversity and opportunity for all. Great artists have been chosen that help tell the story of how art has evolved throughout history and how they have helped to shape and contribute to the creativity and wealth of our nation.
- Inline with our curriculum driver, developing aspirations and possibilities for all, we want children to have no limits to what their ambitions are and grow up wanting to be illustrators, creative directors or printmakers. Our curriculum drivers of oracy, emotional intelligence and aspirations for all shape every aspect of art and design, are embedded in teaching and learning and develop the child as a whole.
- Our art and design curriculum is designed to engage, inspire and challenge children, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art through themes called the ‘Learning Quest’.
- Whilst art and design is taught discretely, we make meaningful links across subjects to connect the Learning Quest. For example, when the children explore the ‘Islamic civilization in history, they will also explore Islamic art through creating and designing their own clay tiles.
- The Learning Quest provides opportunities for pupils to critically evaluate the contribution of art and design to different cultures and periods in history, making meaningful connections within and across subjects and enabling pupils to know more and remember more over time.
- Sequences of lessons develop pupils’ proficiency and control in a range of art concepts such as using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space, as well as their mastery of drawing, painting and sculpture with a range of materials.
- Regular opportunities to record observations, and review and revisit ideas in sketchbooks are planned, alongside making links between the work of different artists and their own. Pupils reflect on their own work and that of other pupils in order to develop ideas and realise intentions.
- Carefully selected skills are chosen to best match each unit of work and progress through each medium. Opportunities to practise and embed skills are planned for so that they are revisited and refined over time.
- Workshops and trips are encouraged throughout units to strengthen and deepen children’s understanding. These visits not only enhance their learning experiences but also their cultural awareness.
- Extra curricular after school clubs enable children from various year groups to work both independently and in collaboration to help inspire, celebrate and promote a real love of art.
- We use displays and art exhibitions to celebrate achievement and support teaching and learning.
By the end of their primary education our children will:
- Have the ability to explore and confidently use a range of mediums and materials.
- Have the ability to reflect on, analyse and critically evaluate their own work and that of others.
- Have a cultured and curious mind that promotes tolerance and differences.
- Have a broad creative vocabulary that they can use accurately.
- Confidently use lines, colour, pattern, texture, form and space to express themselves emotionally and artistically, being more in tune with their own feelings.
- Have the ability to draw confidently and adventurously from observation, memory and imagination.
- Be able to fully communicate their ideas visually and physically. Developing and deconstructing these ideas to tell a clear and full story in 2D or 3D.
- An impressive knowledge and understanding of other artists, craft makers and designers.